- Audre Lorde article prize, Committee on Lesbian and Gay History (American Historical Association affiliate society), 2007-08.
- Cliopatria award for Best History Blog Post for “What Would Natalie Zemon Davis Do?” June 19 2008.
- Wesleyan University Award for Teaching Excellence, 1997.
- Carol A. Baker Award for Outstanding Junior Faculty, Wesleyan, 1995-6.
- NEH Enduring Questions Grant, 2015
- Schlesinger Library Research Grant, 2013
- Albert J. Beveridge Research Grant, American Historical Association, 1988.
- Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation (on behalf of OutHistory.org), 2014.
- Charlotte Newcombe Dissertation Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Foundation, 1987.