American Historical Association:
- Chair, Program Committee for the January 2019 Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- American Historical Association Ad Hoc Committee on the Professional Evaluation of Digital Scholarship, January 2014 – January 2015.
- Chair, 2010 Beveridge Book Prize Committee; Committee Member, 2008-2010.
- Lifetime member, Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History.
Berkshire Conference of Women Historians:
- Ad hoc Communications Director 2012-2014.
- Nominating Committee, 2003 – 2012
- Chair, North American Program Committee for the 2002 conference, 2000-2003
- Member, North American Program Committee, 1998-1999
- Book Prize Committee, 1995-6
- Article Prize Committee, 1992, 1993; chair of committee, 1993-1995
Journal of the History of Sexuality:
- Editorial board 2011- present.
New York City Digital Humanities:
- Board, October 2015 – present.
Organization of American Historians
- Distinguished Lecturer, 2015-2018.
- Merle Curti Book Prize Committee, 2005-2006
Schlesinger Library, The Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University
- Member of the Schlesinger Library Council, 2014 – present.
Woodrow Wilson Foundation
- Chair, Women’s Studies dissertation fellowships, 2016-present.
- Finalist committee member for Women’s Studies dissertation fellowships, September 2014 – 2016.